Customized Remote Install

Scott Seekamp sseekamp at risei.net
Tue Apr 21 21:34:14 UTC 2009

I've done a lot of searching and maybe this capability doesn't exist,
but I am looking to do this:

I am at my company's HQ, we have a new field office that I am setting
up a FreeBSD server. The technical knowledge at the site windows only,
so I basically have someone I can have put a CD in a drive and power a
machine on.

My problem is that the default install of FreeBSD has password
authentication turned off, and root SSH disabled. Being a small
office, they don't have a IP KVM or some way for me to get to the box
to configure it.

My hope was that I could make an automated install CD/DVD that
configured all the options I want AND change some base config files so
I can actually get to the box (or install an SSH key).

I know I can do the scripted sysinstall, but from what I could find I
would need a floppy or additional CD to put the answer file on.

I'm open to other options if someone has gone down this road before!

Thanks!

Scott Seekamp