Preventing ntpd from adjusting time (backwards)

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Apr 21 17:44:03 UTC 2009

Hi, Mel--

On Apr 21, 2009, at 2:06 AM, Mel Flynn wrote:
> Some coarse reading of ntpd(8) and ntp.conf(5) doesn't lead me to
> believe it's
> possible to make ntpd *not* adjust the time. With adjust I don't
> mean the skew
> operation, but really change the time.

Perhaps I've missed it elsewhere in this thread, but I don't believe
anyone actually answered the original question, which would be to use:

    -x, --slew
           Slew up to 600 seconds.

           Normally, the time is slewed if the offset is less than the
step
           threshold,  which is 128 ms by default, and stepped if
above the
           threshold.  This option sets the threshold to 600  s,
which  is
           well  within  the  accuracy  window  to  set the clock
manually.
[ ... ]

It should be surprising that your clock would jump by 6 seconds.  Do
you have adequate upstream timesources (ie, at least 4) configured, is
your local HW clock busted somehow, or are you doing something odd
with power-savings mode or running in a VM or something...?

Regards,
--
-Chuck