Can you ACTUALLY print from FreeBSD?

Keith Seyffarth weif at weif.net
Mon Apr 20 17:36:04 UTC 2009

> > I'm trying to print from my FreeBSD machine. I've been through a
> > number of online tutorials and instructions on printing from Unix or
> > FreeBSD in particular, but they all seem to start with the assumption
> > that printing from the machine is possible. I'm trying to get to that
> > starting point.
>

> A laudable ambition!

OK, honestly, am I working under a valid assumption that it *is*
possible to print from FreeBSD? Or is this just going to engender
greater frustration?

> > cups-base-1.3.9_3   Common UNIX Printing System
> > cups-pdf-2.5.0      A virtual printer for CUPS to produce PDF files
> > cups-pstoraster-8.15.4_2 Postscript interpreter for CUPS printing to non-PS printers
> > gutenprint-cups-5.1.7_3 GutenPrint Printer Driver
> > libgnomecups-0.2.3_1,1 Support library for gnome cups admistration
> > hplip-2.8.2_4       Drivers and utilities for HP Printers and All-in-One device
>
> Looks good so far.

Thanks.

> > The printer I'm working with is a HP Officejet 4110.
>
> > 1. how can I get permissions on the device to stick, so that I do not
> >    have to reboot the machine every time we want to print or have to
> >    power cycle the printer?
>
> Wrong file  - add the changes to /etc/devfs.rules
>
> /etc/devfs.conf is for fixed devices - devfs.rules for plug-in stuff.

OK. I created and edited this file. At least now on attaching the
printer, the permissions are other than root:operator.

> > 2. Am I correct that the missing .dll (that seems awfully Windows to
> >    me) is the problem in getting a filter to print? If so, what do I
> >    need to do to install it?
>
> I don't know - try it with the permissions set as above.

That doesn't change the behavior. It still fails to print, and seems
to error on a missing dll.

> > And, actually, a third printing-related issue: How do I get cupsd to
> > start on startup? I have these two lines in /etc/rc.conf:\
> >
> > cupsd_enable="YES" # enable cups printing management
>
> That should be enough to get it running.

it doesn't. :(

> > devfs_system_ruleset="system" # something else they say cups needs
>
> in which  case the first line in /etc/devfs.rules should be
>
> [system=10]
>
> that line starts a new ruleset with the name system and the number 10

got that. However, it doesn't seem to have changed the behavior of the
system - well, other than the printer ownership s different when it is
plugged in.