Problems with Xorg after portupgrade

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Mon Apr 20 12:58:18 UTC 2009

Jerry wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 03:58:10 +0200
> Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>>> While CTRL+ALT+Backspace does not kill the X server, I can press
>>> CTRL+ALT+F1 or ALT+F1 to return to the text mode console.  I then
>>> kill the X server via CTRL+C.
>>>
>> There's a new setting that needs to be put into xorg.conf:
>>
>> 	Section "ServerFlags"
>> 		Option "DontZap" "false"
>> 	EndSection
>>
>> Then you should be able to Ctrl+Alt+BkSpace to kill X.
>>

> Maybe I am reading this incorrectly; however, in my /etc/xorg.conf file,
> I have this notation.
>
> # Uncomment this to disable the <Ctrl><Alt><BS> server abort sequence
> # This allows clients to receive this key event.
>
> #    Option "DontZap"
>
> It would seem the language is confusing. As I would understand it,
> uncommenting the line disables the sequence. Therefore, it would seem
> to indicate that leaving it commented out activates the sequence. Maybe
> the language should be cleaned up.

Heh, it can be quite confusing because it enables the system to *not* do
something, which is the reverse of what we usually think options do.
Using Option "DontZap" simply enables  "DontZap" which prevents
CTRL+ALT+BSKP from being used. Hence disabling DontZap allows X-Server
to be... Zapped or killed by the key  combination ;)