Vim port problem

SAITOU Toshihide toshi at ruby.ocn.ne.jp
Mon Apr 20 12:02:14 UTC 2009

In message: <1bd550a00904190201q38e947eeq3b152a0a75782a9b at mail.gmail.com>
            Fernando Apesteguía <fernando.apesteguia at gmail.com> writes:
> 2009/4/19 Glen Barber <glen.j.barber at gmail.com>:
> > 2009/4/19 Fernando Apesteguía <fernando.apesteguia at gmail.com>:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I have the latest version of the ports collection (gotten with
> >> portsnap). I performed a whole update of my system (FreeBSD
> >> 7.1-RELEASE-p4 #12). Everything went fine save the vim port.
> >>

> > An upgrade of the base system Should Not(Tm) affect installed ports
> > under normal conditions.
> >
> >> It is unable to download vim-7.2.tar.bz2 despite the fact that the URL
> >> portupgrade tries to download from, exists:
> >> http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/vim-7.2.tar.bz2
> >> It was unable to download the file from any other sites. Several
> >> different errors (Move permanently, range request not satisfiable...)
> >>

> > I am unfamiliar with automated port utilities.  What happens if you do
> > the following?:
> >   cd /usr/ports/editors/vim; make deinstall distclean; make install clean
>
> It fetches all the files from the remote site without problems and it
> installs it.
>

> >> However, I downloaded that file from the first site using 'fetch',
> >> place the file in /usr/ports/distfiles/vim and I could install the
> >> package...
> >>

> > Don't confuse ports and packages.  They are two different ways to
> > install third-party software (until they are installed -- then
> > everything is a package).
>
> Sorry, change "package" for "port". What I wanted to say is: when
> installing the port, it couldn't download one of the needed files
> (vim-7.2.tar.bz2). After I did it by hand, it could install the port
> (compiling and all the stuff) because portupgrade found the file
> already downloaded in /usr/ports/distfiles/vim.

http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-users-jp@jp.freebsd.org/msg03072.html

According to the link, the ports system fetch the file with
-r (resume) option when the previous file transfer had
interrupted.

However the file entity is changed with the same file name
in that period causes the fetch program failed, so you
needed the cleaning out of the file or fetch by hand before
upgrade, I guess.

I hope the ports system can handle this situation.

----
SAITOU Toshihide