Vim port problem

Glen Barber glen.j.barber at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 08:39:48 UTC 2009

2009/4/19 Fernando Apesteguía <fernando.apesteguia at gmail.com>:
> Hi all,
>
> I have the latest version of the ports collection (gotten with
> portsnap). I performed a whole update of my system (FreeBSD
> 7.1-RELEASE-p4 #12). Everything went fine save the vim port.

An upgrade of the base system Should Not(Tm) affect installed ports
under normal conditions.

> It is unable to download vim-7.2.tar.bz2 despite the fact that the URL
> portupgrade tries to download from, exists:
> http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/vim-7.2.tar.bz2
> It was unable to download the file from any other sites. Several
> different errors (Move permanently, range request not satisfiable...)

I am unfamiliar with automated port utilities.  What happens if you do
the following?:
   cd /usr/ports/editors/vim; make deinstall distclean; make install clean

> However, I downloaded that file from the first site using 'fetch',
> place the file in /usr/ports/distfiles/vim and I could install the
> package...

Don't confuse ports and packages.  They are two different ways to
install third-party software (until they are installed -- then
everything is a package).

--
Glen Barber