Question about amd64 tier1 status.

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Fri Apr 17 15:29:14 UTC 2009

J. Julián Rodríguez <warenostrum at gmail.com> writes:

> I´m a FreeBSD user from 4.0 version to Current (i386 arch). I've recently
> switched to a amd64 machine and
> consecuently to the amd64 version of the OS.
> You claim the amd64 version enjoys "Tier 1 Status", but in the page
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/committers-guide/archs.html
> under the point "12.2 Tier 1: Fully Supported Architectures" i read:
>
> "Tier 1 architectures are expected to be fully supported by the ports
> system. All the ports should build on a Tier 1 platform,
> or have the appropriate filters to prevent the inappropriate ones from
> building there. The packaging system must support all
> Tier 1 architectures. To ensure an architecture's Tier 1 status, proponents
> of that architecture must show that all relevant
> packages can be built on that platform."
>

> At this moment is not possible to run Wine on a amd64 version of Freebsd due
> to problems of the amd64 kernel handling
> segment registers, ldt segments or something like that (too technical for me
> to explain right but the point is
> that it doesn´t work). No matter which way you try (port, 32 bit package,
> etc) there is no report of success as far as i know.
>
> My question is:
>
> "Is Wine a non relevant port (I don't thik so) or the amd64 version of
> FreeBSD doesn't meet the requirements to be
> considered a Tier 1 Architecture ?"

My opinion is that the description isn't clear, and could possibly be
reworded.  Under your interpretation, any ports that might be
conceivably be useful on more than one platform would have to build on
all Tier 1 platforms.  This probably won't ever be possible again on
*any* platform, so it isn't really a useful standard to apply.

I am redirecting the question to -docs...
		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/