passwd file transfer

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Thu Apr 16 22:25:22 UTC 2009

In the last episode (Apr 16), gahn said:
> we have a linux based system and it will be replaced with freebsd based
> system.  but i would like to reuse users' password.  is there any better
> way to do this?

There's an awk script at the bottom of the passwd(5) manpage that will
convert a non-BSD passwd file to BSD's master.passwd format.  Make sure you
run pwunconv on the Linux box to merge your passwords from /etc/shadow back
into /etc/passwd before running the awk script.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=passwd&sektion=5

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com