Which one of these two is the correct version?

barbara barbara.xxx1975 at libero.it
Wed Apr 15 18:41:06 UTC 2009

> On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 8:27 PM, barbara <barbara.xxx1975 at libero.it> wrote:
>
> > > Hello FreeBSD Gnome users,
> > >
> > > I have been a KDE user because gnome installation/upgrade presents such a
> > > pain to me most of the time. Today I decided to upgrade gnome from 2.24
> > -->
> > > 2.26 but decided to visit the gnome pages first to see what is said. This
> > is
> > > after looking at /usr/ports/UPDATING and not seeing much to do with this
> > > particular upgrade.
> > >
> > > Now, there are two pages, and both of them seem "upto date", but they
> > have
> > > conflicting information:
> > >
> > > 1.http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq212.html#q2 - says that *NOTE: Do
> > notrun
> > > portupgrade(1) to upgrade to GNOME 2.26!**
> > >    *and goes on to say one should use the gnome-upgrade.sh script, which
> > > seems to NOT exist in the links.
> > > 2. http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq226.html#q2 - says you should
> > use
> > > the following steps:
> > >     (a) pkgdb -Ff
> > >         (Remove gnome-volume-manager.)
> > >     (b) portupgrade -aOW
> > >     (c) portupgrade -f gnome-media gnome-settings-daemon
> > > gnome-control-center
> > >
> > > So I am just wondering which one is the correct version, since both are
> > > talking about the upgrade to 2.26.
> > >

> > > 1.http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq212.html#q2
> > > 2. http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq226.html#q2
> >
> > Can you see the number between "faq" and ".html"? ;)
>

> Barbara,
>
> Does that number, whether I see it or not, matter at all?
> Both cases are talking about *upgrade to 2.26*, unless I also got blind to
> the issue that mattered to me.

Ok, sorry, you're right! I should have take a look at the pages, shame on me.
I don't know why in the first one is reported 2.26 as in fact it seems the procedure to upgrade to 2.12. Maybe some parts are dynamically (but wrongly) generated.
Anyway the correct procedure is described in the 2nd link.
Sorry again and good luck for the upgrade!

Cheers
Barbara

P.S.
Where did you find the 1st link?