What flash players should be used from ports?

John Gage grepkeen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 00:03:16 UTC 2009

You have three viable choices, I'd recommend the third:
1. ports/graphics/gnash or gnash-devel (high CPU utilization on FreeBSD)
2. ports/www/swfdec-plugin [ ports/graphics/swfdec itself is a
standalone flash player, the plugin port installs a plugin for firefox
usage.  0.8.4 is the latest version for the standalone player(which,
according to the official swfdec site, can play youtube video just
fine). However, the plugin port of swfdec is still at version 0.8.2
and does not work with youtube videos at the moment.]
3. ports/emulators/linux_base-fc4 + ports/www/linux-flashplugin9 +
ports/www/nspluginwrapper (this method is the most complex, but
usually yields the fastest-responding flash and best results, at the
moment.)

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 7:14 PM, Vasadi I. Claudiu Florin wrote:

>> Currently running i386.  I'm using firefox 3.0.4 (need to upgrade, wow
>> didn't realize that).
>>

> Hy,
>

> There are several ways to use flash player in FreeBSD X environment. One is,
> as someone previously pointed out, gnash. Another is by using
> nspluginwrapper and linux-flashplugin. Yet another is by using swfdec.
> A god start would be http://freebsd.langhans.com.pl/af/index.html and

This link from Vasadi should be very helpful to you, I have found that
the most stable fedora core base for myself has been 4.  I had a great
deal of trouble with npviewer.bin core dumping and locking up firefox
really nicely with fedora base 8, so I'd stick with 4.