How to create NTFS file system from FreeBSD?

Chris Rees utisoft at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 13 14:48:54 UTC 2009

2009/4/13 Tsu-Fan Cheng <tfcheng at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>    correct me if I am wrong, but is it true that ntfsprogs is the
> only port that comes with formating disk into NTFS system? because
> days ago I also had this problem with my friend's extra USB 1T HD, I
> had to use my windows laptop to do the job. thanks!!
>

> TFC

NTFS is one of the 'crown jewels' at Microsoft, who consider the idea
of sharing ideas despicable. The only way to get information about it
is to reverse-engineer the format, which is such a bugger that not
many people are interested enough in doing. Ntfsprogs is the only tool
(AFAIK) that can do that.

Read Jan's part though
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1743061+0+archive/2009/freebsd-questions/20090412.freebsd-questions

Sorry,