Creating a custom install disk for Freebsd?

Charles Howse chowse at charter.net
Mon Apr 13 02:46:50 UTC 2009

On Apr 12, 2009, at 7:45 PM, Steve Lake wrote:

>        Hi all.  I'm looking at trying to create a custom install
> disk for Freebsd based off an existing install to make
> reinstallation quick and painless

Hi Steve,
FreeBSD's install can be scripted...
Quoted from "BSD Hacks" by Dru Lavigne
"FreeBSD's install mechanism lives in /stand/sysinstall. Not
surprisingly, man sysinstall
describes all of the scriptable bits of this program. I'll go over
some useful parameters, but
you'll definitely want to skim through the manpage to see if there are
additional parameters
suited to your particular environment.
FreeBSD also comes with a commented, ready-to-customize install
script, located in
/usr/src/usr.sbin/sysinstall/install.cfg. Copy this file, then edit
the copy in your favorite
editor."

OTOH, a bootable dvd with a cloned image on it would be a much simpler
solution, IMHO.

--
Thanks,
Charles

Things you'd like to say out lout at work, but can't...
What am I? Flypaper for freaks!?