OT: Postfix rejects from Freebsd server

Da Rock rock_on_the_web at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 11 07:57:37 UTC 2009

> Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 14:42:31 +0700
> From: on at cs.ait.ac.th
> To: rock_on_the_web at hotmail.com
> CC: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: OT: Postfix rejects from Freebsd server
>
> > Apr 11 16:26:40 <hostname (internal)> postfix/smtp[1325]:
> > 488851744F: to=<freebsd-multimedia-request at freebsd.org>,
> > relay=mx1.freebsd.org[69.147.83.52]:25, delay=100211,
> > delays=100114/49/48/0.35, dsn=4.7.1, status=deferred (host
> > mx1.freebsd.org[69.147.83.52] said: 450 4.7.1 Client host rejected:
> > cannot find your hostname, [<my-IP>] (in reply to RCPT TO command))
>
> It seems like it is a DNS problem.
>
> Are you sure that:
>
> - your mail server gateway name resolves into your mail server gateway IP
>
> and
>
> - your mail server gateway IP reverse resolves to your mail server gateway name
>
> Both should be resolve properly.
>
> The check should be done outside of your own subnet, from an Internet
> Cafe (use Windows nslookup command, same syntax as nslookup on Unix)
> from home if you use a different ISP than for the machine that makes
> problem...
>
> You mention that you recently changed your IP, how recent is that
> recently? The old IP/name could be cached at FreeBSD.

I thought it sounded like dns too. But I was under the impression that only a reverse lookup was used against the Server name sent by postfix. I have specifically requested a ptr record in the arpa zone, and I can run a resolveip successfully here.

Is my info wrong? Is the lookup done against more than just the Server name set in main.cf?

Cheers