hplip port update to version 2.8.5

Manish Jain invalid.pointer at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 04:35:26 UTC 2009

Hi Jerry,

> I think I would give some credence to the stated requirements on the
> site.

The reason I raised the point was I know of people using D15XX (but
where XX < 80) with hplip versions well below 2.8.5, and HP now claims
2.8.5 to be the minimum for those printers too, as well as for a whole
lot of printers which are known to work with hplip versions less than
2.8.5. If I am not mistaken, the hplip site blindly states 2.8.5 as the
minimum requirement for all printers of this class. Maybe this is just a
convenient way of doing things for HP rather than figuring out each
printer's actual minimum requirement.

> In any case, did you contact the port maintainer about updating
> the port. If if doesn't get done before the port freeze, you will
> probably be screwed.

Sure I did. Although the response was not was particularly thrilling :
> I am not sure when I'm going to get around to doing an update. If you
> want to take a stab at an update I'll be happy to review any patches,
> but you will probably need the newer version to get things working.
> -- Anish Mistry amistry at am-productions.biz

My previous mail to freebsd-questions was marked as To by mistake. It
was only intended to be a CC. Sorry.

If you reply, please CC me separately. It makes it so much easier for me
to reply, if needed. BTW, I have never used hplip/CUPS before. I do hope
it's not terribly complex to setup and go.

--
Thank you and Regards
Manish Jain
invalid.pointer at gmail.com
+91-99830-62246

NB : Laast year I kudn't spell Software Engineer. Now I are won.