cannot kill process with kill -9

Jacques Manukyan mlfreebsd at streamingedge.com
Thu Apr 9 06:39:14 PDT 2009

Eray Aslan wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 09, 2009 at 09:41:31AM +0200, Pieter Donche wrote:
>
>> I have a mount_nfs process that refuses to get killed :
>> # ps -jaxw | grep mount
>> root   60342     1 60289 60289    0 D     ??    0:00.00 mount_nfs
>>
> [...]
>
>> How to I get this process killed?
>>

> reboot.  You can't kill a process with a D flag.  Google for
> uninterruptible sleep

There is a rare exception that doesn't always work. But you can find
processes that have locked onto that mount point and kill those. Then
try unmounting or killing that NFS mount.

Get lsof in /usr/ports/sysutils/lsof and see what's keeping that mount
point open. Then kill those processes.

But again, this may not work. The only way to release processes marked
with a D flag is to reboot.

-- Jacques Manukyan