Copying files without scp

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Tue Apr 7 16:37:56 PDT 2009

Chuck Swiger wrote:
> On Apr 7, 2009, at 4:13 PM, Steve Bertrand wrote:
>> I'm looking for a method to perform this copy task without the overhead
>> of encryption for infrequent, high-volume transfers (hundreds to
>> thousands of GB).
>>
>> The data will be transferred server-to-server within a private
>> datacentre.
>>
>> Can someone recommend a *known good* production quality copy mechanism
>> that will act like scp, but without the overhead? rsh? nc?
>
> Install /usr/ports/security/openssh-portable, and set the "Enable
> HPN-SSH patch" option.  You should then be able to use "scp -c none"
> option, which is documented more fully here:
>
>   http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh/none.php
>
> You could also use rsync + rsyncd....

Thanks Chuck,

I think I'll just go the rsync route. I'm very familiar with it. I don't
particularly want to install it on the boxes I'm concerned with
momentarily, but I know how it works.

Your other option seems intriguing, but I'd rather not install more
software on these boxes if possible.

I was hoping for a magical, don't have to install anything-type solution :)

Perhaps I left out an important piece... even though I'm copying
directory structures, in many cases the bulk of the data will be
contained within massively large individual files. (Hence why rsync
wasn't my original choice).

Steve