Copying files without scp

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Tue Apr 7 16:13:42 PDT 2009

Hi all,

To copy data from one server, I normally (always) use scp.

I'm looking for a method to perform this copy task without the overhead
of encryption for infrequent, high-volume transfers (hundreds to
thousands of GB).

The data will be transferred server-to-server within a private datacentre.

Can someone recommend a *known good* production quality copy mechanism
that will act like scp, but without the overhead? rsh? nc?

I recall a thread not too long ago regarding this, but I'd like to have
a simple working example if possible, without getting into detail why
one shouldn't transfer data unencrypted.

Steve