mergemaster options

Charles Howse chowse at charter.net
Mon Apr 6 03:43:50 PDT 2009

Hi,
I'm upgrading form 4.6-RELEASE to 4.6-STABLE.
When I get to the *second* run of mergemaster (after installworld),
I'd be interested to hear the list's comments on using options to
start mergemaster.

For example, have you had good luck with:
mergemaster -i -u (install any files that don't already exist, and
attempt to install any files that haven't been user-modified)

Also, what is the first line of a file used for?  What parts of the OS
'care' about that line?  What would happen if I kept the existing file
below, with it's older date and version #?  (This is just a made-up
example).

keep this existing file:
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/csh.cshrc,v 1.3 1999/08/27 23:23:40 peter Exp $
my custom line
blah

delete this (fake) temporary file:
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/csh.cshrc,v 1.4 2000/08/27 23:23:40 peter Exp $
blah
blah

I hope that's clear...?

--