going from cvs to svnq

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Fri Apr 3 13:11:40 PDT 2009

On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 14:05:17 -0400, Chuck Robey <chuckr at telenix.org> wrote:
> Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>> On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 22:18:33 -0400, Chuck Robey <chuckr at telenix.org> wrote:
>>> What I don't know is, I use cvsup all the time, but when I switch to
>>> svn, what does the "cvsup" job of tracking an archive (not tracking
>>> the sources, I mean the archive)?  Does svn do it all itself?  If so,
>>> I can find out how, I just want to know if that's how its done.  If
>>> not, what's the general tool used to track the freebsd archive, so I
>>> can investigate it?
>>
>> Hi Chunk,

Writing when sleepy does that.  I'm sorry :-/

> The ONLY thing I want to get out of this is the cvsup-like capability
> (which I've been using now for 8 years) to update my entire archive
> (svn now, no longer cvs).  Again, emphasizing, it's NOT just a
> checkout, and tags/branches have no meaning at this level.  Something
> like trying to buy chapter 8 of a book: when you buy the book, you get
> ALL the chapters.  When you get the archive, you get ALL the
> tags/branches.

That's what 'svnsync' would get you.  An entire mirror of the full
Subversion repository.

> I *think* maybe you said that svnsync can do this?  I can't find any
> machine IP that is to be used with subversion ... will something like
> cvsup2.us.freebsd.org do for svnsync?  Will svnsync's protocol get me
> the svn archive?  I don't want the cvs archive, so could you help me
> understand how that's selected in this instance?

No, as far as I know there is currently only *one* server who hosts a
publicly visible copy of the repository.  The server is:

    svn.freebsd.org

and you would have to pull changes from that server, using svnsync.

> Beyond that, you emphasized that it can't get only a part of an
> archive.  I'm guessing you were referring to grabbing only ports, as
> against both ports and src?

There is no subversion repository for ports, doc or www.  Only the 'src'
repository has switched to Subversion so far.

So if you want doc/, ports/ or www/ you will have to keep using CVsup to
grab repository copies for them.