msk0: watchdog timeout (missed Tx interrupts)

Fred frediz at ahau-kin.org
Fri Apr 3 02:48:04 PDT 2009

Hi,

I recently upgraded from 6.3 to 7.1 (7.1-RELEASE-p4) with freebsd-update,
and I now have problems with msk0 very often (which I did have before) :

Mar 30 20:14:19 blackbox kernel: msk0: watchdog timeout (missed Tx
interrupts) -- recovering
Mar 30 20:14:58 blackbox kernel: msk0: watchdog timeout (missed Tx
interrupts) -- recovering

which lead to not being able to access the net at all.
I saw some people had this issue at different version of fbsd etc, due to
some issue of the nic itself that had to be workaround, so I tried
some early source code for msk :
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/msk/?only_with_tag=RELENG_7

but I still have this issue (I make buildkernel, installkernel; at first I
only compiled
the module, but it seems that in 7.3 it's in the kernel itself so that the
module won't load)

Here is some info from dmesg about my nic:

mskc0: <Marvell Yukon 88E8053 Gigabit Ethernet> port 0x7c00-0x7cff mem
0xfddfc000-0xfddfffff irq 17 at device 0.0 on pci3
msk0: <Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Yukon EC Id 0xb6 Rev 0x01> on mskc0
msk0: Ethernet address: 00:50:43:00:45:3e
miibus0: <MII bus> on msk0
mskc0: [FILTER]

Thanks for you help, this issue is really painful,

F.