Command to rechown

Kevin Kinsey kdk at
Tue Sep 30 13:00:51 UTC 2008

Mike Price wrote:
> I had to ( chown -R /etc/ ) I to edit the ( pf.conf ), how do I rechowm or
> restore ( /etc ) ?
> Can you please send me the command.

Hmm, why did you have to chown an entire directory to edit
one file?  su(1), and, perhaps even better, sudo(8) are meant
for such things AFAIK.

As for restoring permissions on /etc/, mtree(8) is your 
friend ... I'd recommend taking a look at the
manpage, however, because IANAE.

However, all disclaimers included, I *think* you want

% cd /
% mtree -U -f /etc/mtree/BSD.root.dist

Kevin Kinsey
It is now pitch dark.  If you proceed, you will likely fall into a pit.

More information about the freebsd-questions mailing list