Which mailing list?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Sep 29 13:15:49 UTC 2008

Leslie Jensen wrote:

>  I'm running FreeBSD 7.1-PRERELEASE and I want to keep track on when
> it's updated so that I can upgrade. I'm on the freebsd-announce list but
>  I'm not sure if it's the right list to follow for this purpose.
> /Leslie

At the moment there hasn't been a RELENG_7_1 tag laid down, so anything
labelled 7.1 is from the RELENG_7 branch.  Technically both of RELENG_7
and any RELENG_7_x are covered by the freebsd-stable@ mailing list,
although there is not usually any great amount of traffic to do with the
progress of new releases there.

Also, RELENG_7 is a development branch: patches and updates are added to
it all the time without any special fanfare or announcements; although
right now as we're in the middle of a release process, that's being
controlled by the Release Engineering team and is limited to bug fixes
and release preparations.

If you really want to track all the activity on RELENG_7 then you can
join one of the lists that distributes CVS e-mails. This is the most
appropriate one for your purposes:

Even so, that contains all the messages about all the commits to all the
branches of the src collection, not just to RELENG_7.  You'll need to
filter it pretty  stringently to pull out just the stuff you're interested
in.  I believe there is an internal FreeBSD service somewhere which provides
quite fine grained filtering, but it may only be available to people with
@freebsd.org accounts.  (I saw it mentioned on a mailing list many years ago
but I've mostly forgotten what I knew about it.)

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3
                                                  Kent, CT11 9PW