Syslogd - Different Files

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Wed Sep 24 17:09:19 UTC 2008

> I have read the man pages:
>
> <http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=syslog.conf&sektion=5&manpath=FreeBSD+7.0-RELEASE>
>
> However it is very confusing what exactly to add to the syslog.conf file. I
> have tried numerous variations but still no success.

example on serwer blah.AAA.com

+blah.AAA.com
*.*                                             -/var/log/messages
*.*                                             -/dev/ttyvb
*.*                                             @blah2.BBB.com
-blah.AAA.com
*.*                                             -/var/log/remote

this will log all OWN log to /var/log/messages, 12-th console and to
server @blah2.BBB.com

and will log all incoming messages from other hosts to /var/log/remote

of course - in rc.conf don't forget to add

syslogd_flags="-a IP1/mask1 -a IP2/mask2 ...."