FreeBSD Port of mrtg Not Happy when Trying to Start

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Tue Sep 23 13:30:03 UTC 2008

Jerry writes:
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 09:54:04 -0500
> Martin McCormick <martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu> wrote:
> >       We are moving a mrtg system to FreeBSD so I installed
> > the port from /usr/ports/net-mgmt/mrtg and the installation went
> > flawlessly along with perl5.88 which it needs.

Then, I posted that I had failed to install the snmp utilities
so had not done everything necessary. At about that time, I
received the message I am partly quoting here.

> You might want to check and see if the 'p5-SNMP-Util-1.8.1' port is
> installed {/usr/ports/net-mgmt/p5-SNMP-Util}. If not, try installing it
> yourself and see if the problem goes away.

Thanks greatly. I did in fact not have it, installed it, and the
problem is still unchanged.

> If you have 'portmanager' installed, you could try:
>
>         portmanager net-mgmt/p5-SNMP-Util -l -p -y

	I installed portmamager and it reported everything
present.

> Check the '/var/log/portmanager.log' to see what transpired.

No complaints at all.

	When installing mrtg, I left the ipv6 box unchecked as
we have none, and turned on the snmpV3 support which made no
difference.  Still the same error:

Can't locate SNMP_util.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/bin/../lib/mrtg2 /u
sr/local/bin /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/BSDPAN /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.
8.8/mach /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl /us
r/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/mach /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8 .) at /usr/local/bin/mrt
g line 292.

Since this is more or less a "dead in the water" error, I
suspect I am doing something in the wrong sequence or am not
totally starting from scratch on the mrtg make. I have been
doing

make clean, then make configure and then make install.
There is no problem at all with the make process so I
am at a loss as to what to try next.

Martin McCormick