looking for a disk partition ("slice") editor

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Sun Sep 21 13:26:30 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 07:00:39AM -0500, Scott Bennett wrote:

>      I would like to find a disk partition ("slice" in FreeBSD nomenclature)
> editor that runs under FreeBSD that is able to deal properly with logical
> partition entries chained from an extended partition entry in the Master Boot
> Record.  fdisk(8) appears to be too primitive to understand logical partitions.

I am not clear about what you are trying to do, but fdisk should not
be mucking with so-called logical partitions.   FreeBSD does not
really deal with 'logical' partitions'.    Anyway, they are more akin
to FreeBSD partitions than slices.   Slices are the primary division
and partitions are the subdivisions.    fdisk handles creating slices
and MBRs.  For partitions you use bsdlabel and it handles the boot
record that the MBR hands control off to.

>      Until now I have gotten by with a stand-alone partition editor, but I now
> need to be able to do such operations without shutting down my FreeBSD system
> to do them.  If anyone knows of such a utiility for use in FreeBSD, please
> let me know.  (Please Cc: me on any replies, too.)

Generally, you don't want to mess with slices or in MS terminology "primary
partitions" with the system running - even if you can find a way.

////jerry