geli and soft-updates

Vinny vinny-mail-01+f.questions20080919 at palaceofretention.ca
Sun Sep 21 01:46:20 UTC 2008

Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>> I'm wondering if soft-updates on UFS2 should be enabled
>> on a geli provided disk, da1.eli, for example.  That is,
>
> same as without geli. geli device behaves like normal disk/partition,
> just it's encrypted.

Wojciech,

Thanks for your answer.  I was wondering what the current
state of opinion was for using soft-updates on top of a
geli provider.  From what I've read, disk write caching
reduces the effectiveness of soft-updates.  I was curious
if geli with authentication would obsolete soft-updates
or not.  I may be mis-understanding soft-updates.

>> P.S. Anyone running ZFS on multiple geli providers?
>
> as above.

Does that mean you are/aren't or have/haven't run
ZFS on top of, say, 3 geli encrypted disks?  I'm curious
as to whether there are many people who have tried it,
and use it.

Vinny