Multiple installation of one ports

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Sat Sep 20 16:13:04 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 17 September 2008 16:55:46 FreeBSD wrote:
> John Nielsen a écrit :
> > On Tuesday 16 September 2008 01:26:35 pm FreeBSD wrote:
> >> I've been asked by a customer to install Drupal on one server to manage
> >> a new site. No problem yet. But, he also asked if it would be possible
> >> to install it for other sites.
> >>
> >> I know that there is a warning if you want to install a port that is
> >> already installed, but is there a way to bypass this? I know I could
> >> install it from the tarball from the website, but I want to be able to
> >> use portupgrade and portaudit to deal with it.
> >
> > I've done this in the past with Gallery and it looks like Drupal should
> > be workable too. The thing to do is to make either a clone port or a
> > slave port of the original and tweak a few things. In particular you'll
> > want to add some sort of suffix to the port name and change the
> > installation directory.
> >
> > For example, you could make a directory called ports/www/drupal6-customer
> > and drop this in its Makefile:
> >
> > PKGNAMESUFFIX=-${CUSTNAME}
> > DRUPAL_BASE=drupal6-${CUSTNAME}
> > .include "../drupal6/Makefile"
> >
> > You could then do things like
> > # cd /usr/ports/www/drupal6-customer
> > # make CUSTNAME=foo install clean
> > # make CUSTNAME=bar install clean
> > which would (with any luck) create independent installations of drupal
> > under /usr/local/www/drupal6-foo and /usr/local/www/drupal6-bar. Or if
> > you didn't want to worry about defining CUSTNAME all the time (or the
> > desired name/location won't follow a predictable pattern) you could make
> > a different slave port for each installation and hard-code the two
> > values. I haven't tested any of this other than some quick verification
> > of variables using make -V.
> >
> > HTH. If you have specific questions about port mechanics the ports@ list
> > might be the best place to ask. See also the Porter's Handbook:
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/
> >
> > JN
>
> That's a pretty interesting idea...I'll keep it in the back of my head.

Good idea, but it's better to create your own 'local' ports outside of the
standard hierarchy. For example, my own local ports reside in
${PORTSDIR}/local. It needs one tweak in /etc/make.conf:
VALID_CATEORIES=local

The reason it's 'better', is that you can maintain them in your own repository
and it's easier to make a tarball of all your local ports, rather then have
them scattered over different categories.
--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.