ntpd and GPS

Tom Storey tom at snnap.net
Sat Sep 20 03:10:36 UTC 2008

Thanks Bob.

I did a bit more reading, and it seems that I can turn on additional
sentences in the driver. Ive been studying the NMEA output and there
are two sentences which will give  time figures across two subsequent
seconds, so I tried enabling those ("mode 6" in the server statement),
but still no dice. I can see all of the correct sentences being picked
up in ntpq using the "clocklist" command, but it just doesnt seem to
want to work. Essentially my GPS reference just sits like this:

building# ntpq -p
      remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay
offset  jitter
=
=
=
=
=
=
  resolv.internod 128.250.33.242   2 u   72  256   17   19.343
36.263  37.083
  sparky.services 131.203.16.6     2 u   64  256   17   24.882
0.279  18.807
  GPS_NMEA(0)     .GPS.            0 l    -   64    0    0.000
0.000 4000.00

Which I assume means "nope, not working".

Is PPS absolutely neccessary? The GPS12 doesnt have PPS, so perhaps
this is my issue? The output of NMEA seems to happen every 1.5
seconds, but there are 3 sentences which output a time figure, so I
figured I'd enable the two furthest apart in the hope that they may
coincide with different seconds, and hopefully ntpd would be able to
work it out from that. I even tried enabling all 3 of them ("mode 7"),
but still nothing.

Anyway, Im looking at grabbing a Garmin GPS18 LVC, they are only just
over $100 so no biggie. People have reported wide success with this
device, so I think I'll still with what is known to work and go from
there.

Cheers,
Tom