Realtek 8111C?

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Fri Sep 19 17:58:52 UTC 2008

Sebastian <sebastian at mindling.com> wrote:
 > I'd like to confirm my understanding of current status on this NIC. It
 > seems, based on some searching, the current Realtek driver in FreeBSD
 > doesn't support the 8111C, and that although the vendor-supplied driver
 > _may_ work for older 5.x and 6.0 releases (if one can get it compiled, I
 > couldn't), it doesn't work in 6.3 or 7. So the RTL8111C is effectively
 > not supported. True?
 >
 > I picked up a nice little Atom board to use as a low-power NAS, and
 > unfortunately just assumed the onboard Realtek NIC was supported.
 > Unfortunately I don't have a PCI slot on this mobo to use a different NIC.

What vendor ID and product ID, exactly?
("pciconf -lv" will tell.)

I'm asking because the re(4) driver seem to contain
support for several different chips that are all
identified as "8111C", but work slightly differently.
So it is important to know whether your version of
that NIC is already covered, or whether it has a
product ID that the driver doesn't know about yet.

As far as I can tell from the repository history,
the driver is well maintained.

Best regards
   Oliver