Serial Console Problems

Crist J. Clark cristclark at comcast.net
Fri Sep 19 00:02:54 UTC 2008

I've got DELL PowerEdge 1750 with 7.0-RELEASE-p4. I'm running
the serial port to a serial console server. I thought I had
the right adapter, DB-9 to RJ45, but it's being weird. When I
specify,

  ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   on  secure

In the /etc/ttys file, the console doesn't work at all. However,
when I do this,

  cuad0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   on  secure

It seems to work just fine.

I think my adapter is close, but there is some signal being
lost? Can anyone explain this one? I'm not sure I really
understand the difference between a ttyd and cuad device
from the paragraph in sio(4).

Oh, and do I risk anything breaking by running my console off
of a cuad?
Crist J. Clark                     |     cjclark at alum.mit.edu