Problems on the console

manish jain goodredhat at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 18 20:21:34 UTC 2008

Hi,

I am using FreeBSD 6.2 without X/Xorg. My shell is bash and my keyboard layout is US-ISO.

I am facing 2 problems on the console :

1) My backspace key works fine, but the Del and Delete keys also do a backspace instead of a forward delete. How do I change this ? My keyboard is a basic 101/102 keyboard.

2) Bash simply does not remember my commands in the right order. Most of the commands I type in a login session are forgotten in the next session. Moving the Up and Down arrow keys navigates a mangled and incomplete command history.

I am attaching the contents of my .bash_profile, .bashrc and .inputrc below.

#.bash_profile :
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
 source ~/.bashrc
fi
#end-of-file

#.bashrc :
export HISTFILE="~/.bash_history"
export HISTFILESIZE=1000
shopt -s cmdhist
shopt -s histappend
#end-of-file

#.inputrc :
"\e[1~": beginning-of-line
"\e[4~": end-of-line
"\e[3~": delete-char #should be a forward delete unless I am mistaken
"\eOd": backward-word #ctrl-leftarrow
"\eOc": forward-word #ctrl-rightarrow
set completion-query-items 20
set meta-flag on
set input-meta on
set convert-meta off
set output-meta on
#end-of-file

If anyone can help me out, I shall be really grateful.

Thanks in advance,
Manish Jain
goodredhat at yahoo.com

      Download prohibited? No problem. CHAT from any browser, without download. Go to http://in.webmessenger.yahoo.com/