kernel compile e branches

Daniel Bye danielby at slightlystrange.org
Tue Sep 16 18:01:26 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 02:40:51PM +0200, Gian Paolo Buono wrote:
> Hi,
> I have upgrade my distro and kernel..with following steps:
>
> 1) cd /usr/src ; make update
> 2) edit /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC file for the kernel

I usually copy the GENERIC config and edit the copy. That way, I always
have a GENERIC config to refer/revert to, should the need arise.

> 3) make buildkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC
> 4) make installkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC

You don't need to specify KERNCONF if you are using GENERIC. If you make
a copy and build from it, you can set KERNCONF in /etc/make.conf

> 5) shutdown -r now
> 6) mergemaster -p
> 7) make installworld
> 8) mergemaster -cvsi
> 9) shutdown -r now
>
> now my kernel is FreeBSD 7.1-PRERELEASE.
> For server in produciton which is the branches reccomended ? RELEASE ...
> STABLE ...

For production use, go with RELEASE. It is very stable, with the only changes
being seciruty or other critical updates. STABLE, on the other hand, is a
somewhat more conservative development branch than CURRENT, so is prone to
change more than you might expect from day to day. However, it is very rare
that anything is actually broken.

> And where set the branche to use ?

This is determined by settings in your csup config file. This could be in
/usr/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile, but I make a copy and put it
in /etc/csup.system. Then set these variables in /etc/make.conf:

SUP_UPDATE= YES
SUPFILE= /etc/csup.system
SUPHOST= cvsup.<countrycode>.freebsd.org  # Pick a cvsup host near to you
SUP= /usr/bin/csup

(These allow you to cd /usr/src && make update)

Now check /etc/csup.system. Look for RELENG_7:

*default tag=RELENG_7  # This will get you STABLE. The tag won't change
                       # during the lifetime of the 7 branch.

or

*default tag=RELENG_7_0 # This is for 7.0 RELEASE. When 7.1 RELEASE is
                        # announced, change it to RELENG_7_1 to keep up.

HTH

Dan

--
Daniel Bye