Port for drawing directed graphs?

Michel Talon talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr
Tue Sep 16 08:57:20 UTC 2008

John Almberg wrote:

> Might be able to do it in gnuplot or Latex, but graphviz seems to be
> a single purpose tool aimed at visualizing directed graphs. Plus it
> just works... I got a test graph generated in less than 15 minutes
> after typing "make install". Pretty awesome...
>
> One thing I'm still digging for is how it will handle large data
> sets... I'm not even sure this is practical, but the graphs I'm
> dealing with would typically have hundreds of nodes. I'll have to dig
> in to the docs a bit before getting a handle on this problem.

Graphviz can cope with hundreds of nodes, simply it will take some time
to draw the graph and the graph will be hardly readable. There is an
example for the directed graphs of FreeBSD ports tree (directed by
dependency between ports), which has thousands of arrows, here:
http://www.lpthe.jussieu.fr/~talon/pkg_check.py
see in particular the function write_dotfile.
I hope this will cut your work by still some hours ... maybe it will be
finished before beginning?

--

Michel TALON