browser.cache.disk.parent_directory in firefox

Svein Halvor Halvorsen svein.h at lvor.halvorsen.cc
Mon Sep 15 15:55:25 UTC 2008

Rich Winkel wrote:
> I'd like to move firefox's cache dir into tmp, under a user-specific
> parent directory.  How can I specify the userid in the argument to
> browser.cache.disk.parent_directory in the system-wide firefox.js settings
> file?
> Something like
> user_pref("browser.cache.disk.parent_directory", "/tmp/ffCache/$USER");

I needed something similar in Thunderbird, but couldn't find out
how, so I renamed thunderbird to thunderbird-bin, and made two new
shell scripts, thunderbird and thunderbird-setup.

The "thunderbird" script only checks for the existence of the
~/.thunderbird directory, and execs thunderbird-bin if found. If
not, it runs thunderbird-setup, followed by thunderbird-bin.

The "thunderbird-setup" script untars a premade config dir from a
global location, and seds through the directory afterwards,
replacing %USER% with the username, %NAME% with the full name, etc.

	sv.