FreeBSD included in the Softpedia Linux software database

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Mon Sep 15 15:13:10 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 07:11:02AM -0400, Softpedia Editorial Team wrote:

> Congratulations,
>
> FreeBSD, one of your products, has been added to Softpedia's database of
> software programs for Linux. It is featured with a description text,
> screenshots, download links and technical details on this page:
> http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/Operating-Systems/Other/FreeBSD-6-41246.shtml
>
> The description text was created by our editors, using sources such as
> text from your product's homepage, information from its help system, the
> PAD file (if available) and the editor's own opinions on the program
> itself.

This is a very good writeup.   The body of it seems to be quite accurate.
But, it is funny to see FreeBSD described as a software program for Linux.
Actually, it would be more accurate to say that Linux contributes many
software programs for FreeBSD since FreeBSD is able to run many Linux
things in compatibility mode.  But, as we all know, FreeBSD is an operating
system unto itself and is in no way dependant on Linux.

Anyway, I, and probably all FreeBSD users and developers, appreciate
the recognition and well reasoned text, even if the title is a bit skewed.

Makes it worth a bookmark.

////jerry