Sysinstall doesn't detect IDE hard drives

Martin Boulianne frzburn at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 15:35:18 UTC 2008

Hello everyone,
I built myself a new PC last week, and I'm trying to install
FreeBSD on it but I have some issue. I'm not a total newbie
regarding FreeBSD; I've installed it multiple times and I used
it as my principal OS on my laptop. But I can't figure this
one out, since I can't even install it =(

I have three hard drives in my new PC:
1 SATA, Primary Master, currently entirely used for MS Windows
1 IDE, Secondary Master, used for backups
1 IDE, Secondary Slave, the one I wish to install FreeBSD on.

Now my problem is that when I get to fdisk in Sysinstall, it
doesn't give me any HDD choice. It only sees my SATA drive. =(

My motherboard is an Asus P5Q Pro. Did anyone experienced
the same issue?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Martin Boulianne