Wireshark

Christopher Cowart ccowart at rescomp.berkeley.edu
Thu Sep 11 22:18:13 UTC 2008

Grant Peel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently became aware of a utility called Wireshark (apparently formerly
> 'EtherReal"), and was showing a running copy on Windoze.
>
> It apprears that it would be awsome for diagnosing network issues (such as
> DoS attacks, Email bombs etc.
>
> My question is:
>
> Does the version in /usr/ports/net/wireshark require X11 to run, or can it
> be run from the command line with straight text output?
>
> (I dont have/want X on the servers).

It looks like the port respects the WITHOUT_X11 knob. I believe you get
the command tshark if you don't have the GUI, which can do similar
packet analysis and display in text form. I believe tshark can be used
almost exactly like tcpdump for watching live traffic, but it can also
read in tcpdump trace files.

--
Chris Cowart
Network Technical Lead