/etc/hosts not working

David Naylor naylor.b.david at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 21:05:20 UTC 2008

Hi,

I am trying to redirect a URL request to a different address but it appears
that /etc/hosts is not doing the job.  Example:

127.0.0.1  google.com

The way I understand it is that by typing google.com in a web browser it
should result in the local page being displayed.  It instead goes to the
proper Google page.

`ping google.com' actually pings 127.0.0.1 but `host google' returns the
actual IP addresses for google.

/etc/nsswitch.conf has `hosts: files dns' and host.conf has `hosts\n dns'

Any idea why the system calls are not honouring /etc/hosts?

Regards

David