branches, updates, buildworld

Pieter de Goeje pieter at degoeje.nl
Wed Sep 10 21:57:20 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 10 September 2008, relay.lists at gmail.com wrote:
> 4) Will "make buildworld" fail with a make.conf like this:
>
> ########
> PERL_VER=5.8.8
> PERL_VERSION=5.8.8
> BDECFLAGS="-march=pentium2 -mmmx -pipe -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer \
> -combine -fno-strict-aliasing"
>
> CFLAGS+=${BDECFLAGS}
> CXXFLAGS=${CFLAGS}
> COPTFLAGS="-march=pentium2 -mmmx -pipe -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer \
> -combine -fno-strict-aliasing"

Setting COPTFLAGS is discouraged, because you risk breaking the kernel. In
particular, the kernel can not use any floating point operations including
simd operations, which you explicitly enable above. May I suggest that you
first try to rebuild the base system without any CFLAGS set but simply

CPUTYPE?=pentium2

Note that by default the system is build with -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe.

--
Pieter de Goeje