how can i use ISO-8859-1??

Lars Eighner luvbeastie at larseighner.com
Tue Sep 9 17:48:16 UTC 2008

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, Roland Smith wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 09:35:07PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
>> 	Guys,
>>
>> 	This is one of the I've-been-meaning-to-ask questions;
>> 	but other things keep happening that took precedence.  Now
>> 	it's time to ask what are the voodoo commands to set up in my
>> 	~/.zshrc or other initiation files (probably including my muttrc)
>> 	that will let me print to stdout, characters like the "e-aigu"
>> 	or "u-umlaut" and the currency pound or Euro?

The euro is not in iso-8859-1, but iso-8859-15.  You need to
load the appropriate fonts (at boot if you are root, see /etc/rc.conf)
or use vidcontrol to load the iso fonts when you log in.  You
need to set your TERM environmental variable to the appropriate
value in your shell rc.  That might be cons25l1.  You can check out termcap
from a link in /etc.

> Why settle for ISO-8859-1? Switch to UTF-8 instead, wich can display a
> much larger number of characters, and is becoming the standard.

Because it is a hiddeous waste for most readers and writers of
English and other European languages.

> I added the following to the 'setenv' section of the 'default' profile
> in login.conf:
>
>   LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
>
> AFAICT, the console doesn't have UTF-8 fonts (yet?).

It won't until video cards support this level of bloat.  I don't know of a
single video card that does that.

> But that doesn't
> bother me because I always use X anyway.

Wouldn't you really be happier with Windoz?

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html