Virtual machines hosted on FreeBSD 7

Greg Larkin glarkin at FreeBSD.org
Tue Sep 9 10:42:50 UTC 2008

Derek Ragona wrote:
> At 04:17 AM 9/9/2008, Albert Shih wrote:

>> machines

>> find

>> >  >> In my honest opinion, there aren't many good ways of doing what I
>> > think you're wanting.
>> > VMware is a no go for now, or probably any time soon. I don't think
>> > virtualbox is running on freebsd yet. You could use jails, for just
>> > other freebsd installs, not really a VM so to speak.
>>
>> Well, depend what's you going to do with virtual machine, but jail is
>> something very fine for apache/php server, databases etc... because you
>> don't slow down the I/O (like vmware did).
>>
>> > bochs is crap for this purpose, simics doesn't run on it worth a crap
>> > either. If I were you, I would use something else. say a hypervisor
>> > running on bare hardware, ie: VMware ESX, or similar. I would say
>> xen if
>> > it was ready, but I don't think it is.
>>
>> And just for information VMware ESX is free now.
>
> I  thought that the VMware ESX  is just a trial version that quits
> running after a few weeks.  But if I am wrong about that, let me know.
>
>         -Derek

Hi Derek,

Nope, it is free.  Check out: http://www.vmware.com/products/esxi/uses.html

One thing to note, though.  It still needs approved hardware to install.
 At the moment, I have installed it into a VM within VMware Workstation
to achieve that.

I'll have to do some testing to see how performace suffers!  It might be
fine for a test environment, which is what I'm using it for.

Regards,
Greg
- --
Greg Larkin