Can't start MySQL 5.0.67

Beech Rintoul beech at freebsd.org
Mon Sep 8 18:56:56 UTC 2008

On Monday 08 September 2008, Joe Tseng said:
> I've got a server running FreeBSD7 and got MySQL 5.0.67 installed
> on it today.  I ran mysql_install_db and then assigned the root
> password.  I tried to get it running on boot (mysql_enable="YES")
> and by hand (/usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server start) but I can't
> get the daemon to start.  What else do I need to do to get this
> working?
>
>  - Joe

Check the logfiles in /var/db/mysql, they will usually tell you what
it's choking on. My first guess without more info would be you
probably don't have something configured correctly.

Beech

Beech Rintoul - FreeBSD Developer - beech at FreeBSD.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail   | http://people.freebsd.org/~beech
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Skype: akbeech
/ \  - http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/7.0R/announce.html