safest way to upgrade a production server

John Almberg jalmberg at identry.com
Mon Sep 8 12:23:41 UTC 2008

>>> uname -a
>> FreeBSD ***servername*** 6.3-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.3-PRERELEASE #1:
>> Mon Dec  3 09:46:53 EST 2007     root@***servername***:/usr/obj/usr/
>> src/sys/INET_ON  amd64
>
> oooh, that is a bit old I think.

I chose this server as an example, because it's the oldest one. I
didn't install the OS on this server, the vendor did. Not sure why
they chose a prerelease version... perhaps 6.3 was almost ready to go
and they wanted to put us on the 6.3 branch? I don't know.

Anyway, I guess what I should do is patch this to the latest 6.3
version?

Or should I go to the latest 6.x version? I am pretty sure I don't
want to experiment with a 7.x upgrade.

-- John