LVM2 under FreeBSD ?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Sep 7 21:21:23 UTC 2008

On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 14:09:42 +0000, nicodache <nicodache at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'd like to use something like LVM under FreeBSD, as I have a server
> running FBSD 7 and I don't know what space to give to what partition,
> and as I plan on installing postfix+courier-imap soon, I'd like to
> have some way to share the 235GB left on my drive between /home (legal
> torrents), and /var (www, mails, etc)

Allthough this may not be the answer you've expected, you can
put /var and /home onto the same partition (the 235 GB left).
Put /dev/ad0s1g in /etc/fstab as /home, create /home/var and
put a symlink /var@ -> home/var. This does not create the "over-
head" a LVM would need.

> Do yoy know of any solution available as port that would provide me
> with the same features as LVM ? (resize of partitions while running,
> to adapt /var to my needs without copying, unmouting, resizing,
> rebooting, etc)

As it has been mentioned before, ZFS is much more professional
of course. You can add storage to /var or /home without needing
to move any content to a new disk. ZFS is part of the base system.

> Can LVM be used in FreeBSD ?

Yes, FreeBSD brings vinum LVM with the base system.

> can the default kernel read & write ext3
> partitions ?

I don't think so, but there are tools in sysutils/e2fsprogs that
might help you: "Set of utilities and library to manipulate an
ext2, ext3 or ext4 filesystem."

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany