kernal panic mounting Sony USB IC RECORDER

osp at aloha.com osp at aloha.com
Sun Sep 7 11:08:11 UTC 2008

uname -a
FreeBSD shafp09nb102137 7.0-RC1 FreeBSD 7.0-RC1 #0: Mon Dec 24 12:18:24 UTC
2007     root at logan.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

Computer is Dell Latitude D830

I have a Sony PCM-D50 digital recorder that will not mount correctly. At
the command line, when I plug in the USB cable and turn on the recorder I see

umass0:<Sony IC RECORDER, class 0/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2> on uhub6

After about a minute four error messages appear:

(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0):Auto Sense Failed
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0):got CAM status 0x10
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0):fatal error, failed to attach to device
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0):lost device

At that point the computer is not responding to the keyboard. When I power
off the Sony recorder the computer screen displays a page fault panic.

The panic behavior reminds of what happenes when I pull a USB thumb drive
without dismounting ... it is probably not specific to this device.

To rub salt in my wounds, in mounts perfectly on Windows XP. So I dragged
my files onto drive D:, then back in FreeBSD I mount /dev/ad4s2 on
/mnt/win_d and copy the files to my home directory tree. Good news: In
Gnome I can play and edit the files with Audacity. Very happy about that.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Gary Dunn
Open Slate Project
http://openslate.net/