how do I disable the generation of XOFFs when using tip over a serial port to another device

Jeff Haran jharan at Brocade.COM
Fri Sep 5 19:50:25 UTC 2008

Dear Sirs,

I have connected one of the RS232 ports of my PC with FreeBSD (v6.3) on
it to a device that does not understand XON/XOFF flow control. I run the
tip program to connect to that device.

How do I configure tip and/or the serial port so that the FreeBSD PC
will NOT send XOFFs or XONs to the device?

When I run:

stty -a -f /dev/cuad0

where /dev/cuad0 is the device associated with the port, it outputs
(among other things):

iflags: ... ixon -ixoff ...

>From my reading of the stty man page, I would think that means the port
is already configured to not send XOFFs.

Is there something I need to do to /etc/remote to tell tip to not enable
XON/XOFF?

Please respond to this email address as I do not subscribe to the
mailing list.

Thanks,

Jeff Haran