Google Chrome

Kris Kennaway kris at FreeBSD.org
Fri Sep 5 08:18:35 UTC 2008

jef moskot wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Sep 2008, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>> I must have missed something, how would running the Chrome browser
>> collect our valuable data?
>
> What other purpose would Google have for creating this software?
> Everything Google does is attempt to collect more data, whether it's
> collecting the world's email or convincing corporations, universities,
> private citizens, and everyone else that storing all their documents and
> records on Google servers is a great idea.

 > Whether this browser directly collects more data or simply assists them
 > with their other collection methods, there's no other reasonable
 > explanation for the creation of the tool.

The big selling point of this browser is the performance of its
Javascript engine compared to other existing browsers.  Javascript is
what is used to run the client side of "web applications"...like Google
Docs, and other Google applications.

Pushing the development of Javascript is directly tied to google's
ability to launch more complex web-based applications in the future.

As for google collecting private data, this browser apparently does no
more of that than other existing browsers, according to:

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/google-chrome-communication/

Kris

P.S. This thread is off-topic for freebsd-questions, redirecting to chat.