/: write failed, filesystem is full

Chris Whitehouse cwhiteh at onetel.com
Thu Sep 4 15:54:19 UTC 2008

Polytropon wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 17:30:58 +0200, Nikola Knežević <laladelausanne at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'm trying to install FreeBSD 7.0 on our new server (Intel Xeon 2x4-
>> core machine), which has a 250GB SATAII disk. I used -bootonly CD
>> image, and assigned whole disk to FreeBSD. Breakdown is:
>> / - 2GB
>> swap - 4GB
>> /var - 9GB
>> /tmp - 4GB
>> /usr - 213GB
>>
>> As soon as I start copying files from FTP, this is the error I get:
>> /: write failed, filesystem is full
>>
>> This shouldn't happen, since sysinstall did newfs on these partitions.
>>
>> What to do?
>
> Something went wrong when specifying the disks where the OS
> is to be installed to. As it has already been mentioned, /
> is placed on a RAM disk. Extraction of the OS's components
> has to go to the mountpoints where your correctly created
> partitions reside (which are more than big enough, especially
> regarding /, I think).
>
> Did you do the installation via the sysinstall utility? If
> not, make sure the correct mount points are given for the
> software installation, e. g.
>
> 	/dev/ad0s1a -> /mnt/
> 	/dev/ad0s1d -> /mnt/tmp
> 	/dev/ad0s1e -> /mnt/var
> 	/dev/ad0s1f -> /mnt/usr
> 	/dev/ad0s1g -> /mnt/home
>
> The structures in / (/bin, /usr/local etc.) are not the
> structures you want to have on the disk you're installing on.
>

> PS. Where's your /home partition? :-)

There used to be an issue with the installer that if you crashed out of
the install process somewhere then restarted it from within sysinstall
without rebooting you could get a similar issue. Maybe it's been fixed
by now though. Sorry not to be more specific, it's been a long time
since it has happened to me, maybe someone who knows more could confirm.

Chris