Google Chrome

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Wed Sep 3 11:55:48 UTC 2008

RW wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 16:16:08 -0800
> Peter Giessel <pgiessel at mac.com> wrote:
>

>> And Safari is based on KDE's Konquerer (which already runs on
>> FreeBSD), so with a FreeBSD version of Chrome, you would essentially
>> have Konquerer ported to Apple, ported to Microsoft, ported to Linux,
>> ported back to FreeBSD....
>
> They've based their rendering on WebKit, but there's a lot more to
> Chrome than that:
>
> http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/
>
> I think it looks very interesting.

I think it would be in beta for decades :) There's just so much thing
they said they'll do that would be very complicated to implement - their
multiprocessing model instead of multithreading for example. To me it
looks like they will soon find out that there's a reason todays browsers
behave like they to - the platform (HTML, CSS, JS, Flash...) is very
complex.