Linux, LDAP and the impossibility of handling editable PDFs

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Mon Sep 1 10:09:35 UTC 2008

Konrad Heuer wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Sep 2008, O. Hartmann wrote:
>
>> Several months ago I tried configuring the Linuxulator on several
>> FreeBSD 7.X boxes, most of them pure amd64 and pure 64 bit (as it is
>> possible with Intels pseudo 64 bit crap). The reason for that is
>> simple. Having FreeBSD (now 7.1-PRE) as my favorite OS on servers AND
>> hybrid boxes (acting as workstations AND small servers) makes life
>> easy - I thought and was touhgt wrong.
>> Our administration sends a lot of PDFs around and as it is very usual,
>> our applications, forms and so on for scientific congresses etc. are
>> all PDF and subject to be edited. And here it comes that FreeBSD seems
>> to be a definite deadend!
>> Using pdfedit is wrong, it can't show or edit any PDF we obtained so
>> far. Using 'pdftk' fails, it is not made to run in modern 64 bit
>> environments only when using FreeBSD (linux seems to have no problem,
>> especially Ubuntu does the thing). So, then I remembered myself about
>> Linuxulator and tried acrobatviewer - and failed. As in other
>> professional environments we were far away from using simple user
>> management and therefore there is a LDAP environment. And, funny,
>> Linuxulator does not contact LDAP even if  I try to configure it to
>> use our LDAP environment. Digging around what flavor of Linux FreeBSD
>> installs (means: do al ot of work), reading about how to use PAM and
>> LDAP on Linux (means: doing again additional work in an environment I
>> try to avoid!) and at last no success, because something is missing or
>> the Linuxulator should use something for user authentication and
>> autorization it does not have and uses therefore the FreeBSD stuff and
>> then fails. Especially for the Acrobat weirdness (or call it software)
>> something like this occurs whenn attempting starting acrobat reader:
>>
>> (acroread:18831): GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown
>> user id (2001)
>>
>> (acroread:18831): Gdk-WARNING **: shmget failed: error 12 (Cannot
>> allocate memory)
>>

>> If there is someone here running a 64 bit environment within a LDAP
>> realm and already got successfully running the Linux add ons as
>> expected for LDAP users, you are really welcome to give me some hints
>> how to turn around my frustration and thoughts about definitely
>> leaving the FreeBSD path ...
>
> I use a simple workaround to make the Adobe reader (and some other Linux
> binaries) work - I simply added following entries to the crontab file of
> root:
>
> 00 05  *  *  * /usr/bin/getent passwd | /usr/bin/sed '1,/nobody/d' >
> /usr/compat/linux/etc/passwd 2> /dev/null
> 15 05  *  *  * /usr/bin/getent group > /usr/compat/linux/etc/group 2>
> /dev/null
>
> Hope that helps a little bit ...
>
> Best regards
>
> Konrad Heuer
> GWDG, Am Fassberg, 37077 Goettingen, Germany, kheuer2 at gwdg.de

Thank you very much, this works.
But this seems to be a hack, unclean in my opinion. As I got responses
earlier of the year for a similar problem, Linuxulator should utilize
lacking facilities from FreeBSD host system - but obviously it doesn't,
especially if there are non-existent users. As I realized - and this
puzzles me - there was no passwd file in my configuration, so I guess
the Linuxulator has to contact the underlying FreeBSD infrastructure to
get UIDs like root and others - but this seems not to be the case.

Regards,
Oliver